Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hosti

From: John R. Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hostility
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:16:09 -0400

Hi Joshua --

First, nice callsign  (particularly if you have any US Navy connection!)

Since it's my message you responded to, let me throw in a couple of thoughts. I'm not a developer, though, so I can't talk to the advantages of developing under Windows versus Linux.

I use a Windows machine at work, my wife and daughter use Windows laptops at home, and we have two Win2K machines in the house, one a shared box for general purpose stuff, and the other the machine I threw together to run the SDR-1000 software. So, I'm not a total anti-Microsoft zealot. But I've been running Unix boxes since about 1990, and using Linux since 1994, alongside my Windows machines. Some time ago, I concluded that Linux had reached the point where it could do just about everything I needed, and I made the decision to, as much as I can, use Linux for my own computing needs. I did that for several reasons, most of them philosophical rather than technical.

Primarily, most of my spare-time computing is related to my hobby. And, software is becoming a more and more important part of ham radio. I don't have anything against folks trying to make money from their talents, but I view today's ham software as the equivalent of a schematic diagram thirty years ago, and I like to operate in an environment where people can pick apart the technology to improve it. That culture of sharing is very strong in the Linux (open source) world; for whatever reason, it is not so strong in the Microsoft world, where a large proportion of the ham software (and other software as well) is commercial, shareware, or even if beer-free, closed-source. I just feel that I can do more for my hobby, and I can learn more for myself, by operating in the open source world.

Secondarily, I believe that Microsoft has abused their position to build, and then to maintain, an illegal monopoly. In my day job, I negotiated contracts with Microsoft for my company and saw first-hand some of their tactics in the OEM channel. I can't go into detail here, but suffice it to say, it wasn't pretty. I don't like supporting a company that acts that way.

Almost finally, I believe that the open source model is likely to be the most effective one in the long term to promote the advancement of computing. If that statement is wrong, I think in a decade or three we'll look back and still say that the open source model had a major positive impact on the computer industry. This is still an infant industry -- we're living in what is the equivalent of the first days of the industrial revolution -- and just as it took a century to reach Henry Ford's culmination of the assembly line, we're still learning how to do software. I don't think there's any other business where a company (let's say Microsoft, but there are others) could have the kind of security/bug track record we see here, and still be in business. There's got to be a better way, and I'm putting my money on open source.

Finally finally, I believe that today the balance of power in the IP rights continuum has dramatically shifted in favor of content producers and away from content consumers. I think that current copyright law in the US does not comply with the Founders' conception of the balance between giving authors the incentive to create, while still advancing the public knowledge. Open source projects like gnuradio are doing their bit, in various open and subtle ways, to help counteract that imbalance.

Hope this helps a bit to explain where at least one person is coming from.

73,
John N8UR
address@hidden
http://www.febo.com