Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MicroTune Tuners

From: Paul J Zawada
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MicroTune Tuners
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:23:47 -0500

I believe what they did was sample them to me and I paid the FedEx
fee from Singapore or the Philippines (wherever they are
manufactured). In actuality, I don't think they are made anymore. One
place to find them is in old set-top boxes. You may score one of
those from a satellite TV installer. Another place to look is Nuts &
Volts magazine--as a Ham you should be familiar with it.

I had the same experience a few months ago. Microtune swore up and down that the tuners we are interested in were still in stock and gave me a verbal quote for their minimum order. (50 tuners, a good number of which would have been made available to folks on this list...) They sent me a free sample, but when it came to trying to get a hard copy quote via email, fax, or post so I could get a purchase order written, I could not get their manufacturer's rep to do it. I tried for weeks by playing phone tag and talking with the guy on the phone. He kept saying he'd do it, but it never happened. I finally gave up; a pity since that was a pretty neat solution. (I consider myself lucky that I got the sample...)

I have heard unconfirmed reports that the Microtune tuner in question can be found in certain Cisco cable modems, but I don't know which ones...

--zawada

Paul J. Zawada, PE  |  Principal Network Research Engineer
address@hidden     |  National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 217 649 2233     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign