RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Devices containing 4937 tuner module

From: Ben Gelb
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Devices containing 4937 tuner module
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:21:21 -0400

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestions on the 4937. I just got off the phone with
Patricia Kay of Microtune and she agreed to donate a few 4937 modules
for use in my research project. She confirmed, as is already known, that
they are being phased out of production.

She asked if I knew you, because apparently she was the person you
talked to when you bought your eval boards in 2001.

I agree that it is a very wise idea to look for another tuner, since
this module is being phased out. I learned today that the low IF was
once required for DOCSIS compliance, but is no longer. Therefore modules
with an IF in this range will pretty much cease to exist. So some
circuit will need to be designed to mix a 44 MHz IF down to 5 or 6 MHz.

As I am using GNURadio as the subject of study for my senior research
project this year in high school, I wanted to see if I could emulate the
hardware that has already been tested so that I don't have to devote
large amounts of time to making the hardware work. I am unfortunately, a
little bit limited by time.

I imagine a better solution lies in the new silicon tuners, along with
some sort of downconversion circuit.

-Ben