Fw: [Discuss-gnuradio] first weekend compiling gnuradio

From: cfk
Subject: Fw: [Discuss-gnuradio] first weekend compiling gnuradio
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:25:57 -0800

> > > That segues into the next question, of course, and that is hardware.
> Which
> > > to obtain and how to obtain it. I am currently reading all of the 2003
> posts
> > > on the mailing list archive. At this point, I am struggling with
buying
> > > PCI-4020 or waiting for a usrb to become available so I can work with
> it.
> > > Either one requires some delicate negotiations with Annie, W1FE. Any
> > > suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > Don't bother with the MC4020.  The USRP will be much cheaper and more
> powerful.
> > It should be ready for sale in a couple of months.
> >
> > Matt

 Thank you Matt. I'll wait patiently (or perhaps impatiently).

 Three Points (all unrelated ramblings)

 1. I have been spending the day reading the last year and a half of the
archives. I'm up to the Windows Python mystery right now. Its all very
 interesting and I would suggest this course of action for another newbie as
there are a lot of pearls buried in this archive. Including the directory
structure, src/gnu/examples, Microtune tribulations, care & feeding of
autoconf, where to search for knowledge in the directory tree
(src/gnu/examples) and a lot more.

 2. I get the impression that DSP stuff is a mystery to many folks besides
myself. I did a board design with an AD2189 a couple of years ago and it was
recommended that I buy the book "e, the story of a number" ISBN
0-691-03390-0 and it really helped in understanding all those complicated
 formulas with e raised to the jwt power and complex numbers. It is written
as a historical perspective for non-mathematicians such as myself.

 3. If there is a modest front end board that needs to be layed out, I am
quite proficient in Orcad and Orcad Layout and can produce a Gerber database
ready for fab. Let me know if that might help some of the front-end,
down-conversion activities.

 Back to reading the end of the Python Mystery and the rest of the archive
from Aug 2002 to the present.

 Charles