Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct ADC for Quadrature Demodulator

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct ADC for Quadrature Demodulator
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:34:07 -0800

Radio Dev wrote:
Using DMA mode, the sampling rate will be 30MHz,  and seems enough fast
(>2x10.7MH).
The problem is band width.
When IF signal has a band width < 4MHz,  the sampling rate will be enough,
i.e. 30MHz > 2x(10.7+4)MHz. Dangerous but it works.
When IF signal has a band width > 5MHz,  the sampling rate will not be
enough, i.e. 30MHz < 2x(10.7+5)MHz. Can not work.

Did I have a proper right understanding?

I believe you will find the concept of subsampling helpful. The basic idea is, under certain conditions, you purposely undersample at a rate determined by the intelligence bandwith, not the IF center + bandwidth. Google returns a number of reasonable hits on the topic so I won't quote links here.