[Discuss-gnuradio] (another newbie...) Other radio-astronomy people?

From: Boyd Waters
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] (another newbie...) Other radio-astronomy people?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:04:59 -0600

Greetings gnuradio people!

I found out about this project via Eric's recent articles in Linux Journal. Excellent!

By playing with GNU Radio I hope to better understand some of the signal-processing that we use every day at work.

You see, we have a rather large RF front-end to play with -- about the size of Washington, DC.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/evla/

This sounds like I'm boasting -- but actually it has been a humbling experience. As of yet there is no accessible training material for computer software folks like me: all the training is on-the-job.

I hope to improve that: by learning how to use (and perhaps by contributing to) GNU Radio, I can get a real "hands-on" feel for how a radio-telescope works.

I am quite interested in the USB-based front-end.

And I'm interested in hearing from other radio-astronomy people working on the GNU Radio project. (It would not surprise me if some of them were in the same building as I am...)

Thanks!

~ boyd

Boyd Waters
National Radio Astronomy Observatory