[Discuss-gnuradio] address@hidden: Re: EETimes: Va. Tech finds soft radi

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] address@hidden: Re: EETimes: Va. Tech finds soft radio's missing link]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:23:42 -0700

FYI,
Eric

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] EETimes: Va. Tech finds soft radio's missing link Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Mr. Blossom,

this is Shereef Sayed, lead developer of MPRGs OSSIE
project. I am not a member of the gnuradio list serv,
so perhaps you could post my reply for me. I just want
to make a few remarks concerning the SCA. First of
all, there are already implementations of the SCA in
use right now. Moreover, our boys in uniform are
already using those implementations on the battle
field as we speak (provided they have the batteries to
turn them on). You are correct in saying that OMGs
CORBA is not the answer to an effective SWRadio
platform, but it does provide a starting point for
language independance, and to a degree, platform
independance. As far as the spec goes, CORBA is the
enabling technology, but the spec is not based
entirely upon the shoulders of CORBA. The real
question is how to achieve interoperability between
implementations, independant of the middleware, such
as CORBA? MPRG has already recognized the flaws in
CORBA as a successful enabler of SDR interoperability,
but before you can cut thru the red tape of
buraucracy, you need to first be invited to dinner.
That is what OSSIE has done for the SDR community that
has been excluded from development of the SCA spec. I
encourage your community to continue to provide its
criticism's as well, this way, we can light the fires
at the dinner table. Thank you for your response,
Eric. I look forward to continuing this dialogue. Take
it easy.

- Shereef Sayed