Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GnuRadio: A NetBSD experience

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GnuRadio: A NetBSD experience
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:48:22 -0700

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:37:31AM +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I finally had success in porting the required software packages for the
> current version of GnuRadion (CVS as of 17-Oct-2004) working on
> NetBS-i386-2.99.9. This email is for the benefit of other *BSD user trying to
> get GnuRadio running.

Thanks for getting this working under NetBSD!

> numarray-1.0
> numeric-23.5

> Some of the above packages are required at runtime, e.g. numarray and
> numeric.
> This become apparent only after attempting to running scripts making use of
> the wxgui interface etc. This begs the question - how many other packages are
> required that I have yet to discover?

That's it.

> Is there a list that with information on software packages that are
> prerequisites for a successful GnuRadio installation.

It should be in the README's.  numarray and/or numeric should be added
to the list for gr-wxgui.  I pretty sure we don't require both.  I
believe that either one will work, though my inclination is to require
numarray, the eventual replacement for numeric.

Part of the challenge/opportunity is that each one of the tarballs
that makes up the GNU Radio system has different set of dependencies.
We split them up to simplify building on systems with different i/o
devices, etc.

I think some kind of machine readable dependency list would be great.
It gets even more complicated when trying to build binary
distributions, but at least the source dependencies shouldn't be too
hard to document.  We should be able to get the python dependencies by
searching for all the imports in the code.

> I had heaps of trouble in getting the current version of wxPython-2.5.2.8
> working. It required me to do a lot of hacking in the relevant Makefiles
> before it successfully compiled and installed. Considering that this software
> claims to aim cross platform development, it didn't do a good job in
> configuring and creating the setup and Makefiles. BSD users may want to take
> note that some of the libraries, libwx-gtk2-core by memory, have dependencies
> to  oss ioctl calls requiring the libossaudio library Adding -lossaudio to
> the linker option will take care about this.

> wxPython-2.5.2.8 is a development release and reason why it was not ported by
> any of the *BSD distributions. They still use version 2.4.2 as it is
> considered to be the last stable release.

2.4.2 won't work with GNU Radio, we use the new namespace and other
features.  FWIW, there are prebuilt binaries available for Windows,
GNU/Linux (RPM) & OS/X.

I'm using the version built against wxGTK; There's also a version
built against wxGTK2.

> The installation was since tested using the examples provided and some
> scripts
> utilizing the wxgui interfaces with great success suggesting that all is
> working fine

Thanks again for your efforts!

Eric