Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio documentation

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio documentation
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:55:13 -0800

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 06:01:08PM -0700, Jung Ko wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Have you considered using a Wiki for the hand written documentation?
> Maybe more people might be interested in contributing in a Wiki since
> it does not require any prior knowledge of docbook.
>
> Just my two cents...
>
> Jung.

I'm a big fan of wiki for lots of stuff [http://comsec.com/wiki]

If you feel like writing something on the wiki, by all means please do.

I'm not sure it's the right medium for documents on the order of a few
thousand words.  Markup is limited, by design.  Wiki doesn't print all
that well.  We also lose the advantages of source code control.

The other contender was Texinfo.  Texinfo has it's own rather quirky
input style, but is capable of producing nicely formatted text, pdf,
html and info files.  If any one has any strong preference for
texinfo, I'm certainly willing to reconsider it.

I also find that info files are much easier to navigate than html
pages -- you can navigate all from the keyboard.  I suspect if I spent
some time figuring out how to configure my browser, I might have a
different opinion.

Eric