Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comb Filter

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comb Filter
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:49:15 -0500

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:24:06AM +0100, Martin Dvh wrote:
> The comb filter is not essential. If you do not have it, the color
> information in the signal will give you some distortion (moire pattern) but
> you will be able to get a picture.

You can feed color composite NTSC into an oscilloscope without any
filtering and get a rough picture out of it from the raw voltage
levels.  You just need a couple of sawtooth generators carefully
adjusted to get the beam moving in the right pattern across the
display in sync with the signal.  The image will look terrible, might
have black and white reversed and may be really noisy, but it should
at least be recognizable.

It's one of the first things I tried when learning how to use my scope
(an old Tek465), with a Playstation as the video source.

                                                  -Dave Dodge