[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP issues

From: Joshua Lackey
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP issues
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:08:04 -0800

I just received my USRP and I'm having a few issues.

First, some information about my setup.  I've got the latest sources
from CVS installed and working just fine with my Datel PCI417-M(2) ADC
card.  (Which I've been meaning to make available but just haven't
gotten around to it.)  I downloaded usrp-0.7.tar.gz and installed
/usr/local/share/usrp/rev2/usrp_fpga.rbf by hand.

I'm getting the exact same results on both systems I've tried it on,
namely an AMD64 3400+ running gentoo-latest and a Pentium4 2GHz running
SuSE9.2.  In both cases I was able to install most requisites using the
standard package managers (e.g., emerge or yast2) but I had to download
and build a few by hand.  I can provide the exact software versions if
necessary.

The Pentium4 has the following USB controller:

padfoo:~ # lspci
[...]
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #2) (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #3) (rev 02)
[...]

The AMD64 has the following:

address@hidden:~> lspci
[...]
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a2)
[...]

I have one receive daughterboard installed.  When I power the system,
one of the LEDs starts blinking at about 2Hz and I receive the following
message in /var/log/messages :

Feb 23 22:33:05 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address
2

If, at this point, if I try something simple like:

address@hidden:~/src/gnuradio/build/build-usrp> sudo host/apps/usrper
9862b_read 1
lt-usrper: found unconfigured usrp; needs firmware.
usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Connection timed out
lt-usrper: failed

I receive a "needs firmware" message and the LED keeps blinking at about
2Hz.  I get the following in /var/log/messages :

Feb 23 22:37:27 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in
Feb 23 22:37:27 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd
lt-usrper rqt 192 rq 130 len 1 ret -110

Okay, looks like the usrper program doesn't load in firmware.  If I try
host/apps/test_usrp_standard_rx, I get the following error:

address@hidden:~/src/gnuradio/build/build-usrp> sudo
host/apps/test_usrp_standard_rx
usrp_open_interface:usb_claim_interface: failed interface 2
could not claim interface 2: No such file or directory
usrp_basic_rx: can't open rx interface
die: lt-test_usrp_standard_rx: usrp_standard_rx::make

When I first run the program, the first LED starts blinking slower, at
about 1Hz.  Then I get this error in /var/log/messages:

Feb 23 22:45:50 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2
Feb 23 22:45:50 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address
3
Feb 23 22:45:50 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: Product: USRP Rev 2
Feb 23 22:45:50 padfoo kernel: usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Free Software Folks

Then the second LED goes on for about two or three seconds and then goes
off.  At which time the error from the test_usrp_standard_rx appears.
The first LED remains blinking at the slower rate.

Even though that appeared to fail horribly, I can run the usrper program
now:

address@hidden:~/src/gnuradio/build/build-usrp> sudo host/apps/usrper
9862b_read 1
reg[1] = 0x01

At first I thought it could be an issue with my 64-bit machine but, as I
said, I'm getting the exact same errors on both of them.  I'm afraid
I've got some sort of hardware problem but I'm not exactly sure where to
go from here.  I thought I would post for some ideas and then sleep on
it.

Thanks!

Josh.

--