[Discuss-gnuradio] pipe trick

From: cswiger
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] pipe trick
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:50:04 -0400 (EDT)

Gang - *almost* have a keyboard input to a psk31 transmitter running -
but I don't fully understand named pipes. Q: Why does it not send
untill the pipe is closed???

One script opens a named pipe /pipe for writing

  pskfh = open("/pipe","w")

and the script successfully gets characters from the keyboard and
translates to the appropriate phase shift sent to the pipe, or inserts
idles characters if no keys are pressed before timeouts.

Another script opens the pipe for input to the gnuradio part
feeding gr.bytes_to_syms() etc

  src = gr.file_source(gr.sizeof_char,"/pipe")

However the gnuradio script produces NO output untill the
keyboard/varicode/psk script closes the pipe - then it appears
to produce the correct output. Even tried pskfh.flush() after
every pipe write w/o luck.

I want it to run as I type - the keyboard script should be keeping the
pipe loaded faster then the gnuradio script is reading (I think).

Clue appreciated.

TIA

--Chuck