Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IBM VC calls for 'open' hardware

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IBM VC calls for 'open' hardware
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:10:13 -0700

Steve Schear writes:

> http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160502705
>
> MONTEREY, Calif. — A revolution is coming to the electronics industry, says
> Juan-Antonio Carballo, partner in IBM's venture capital group — and it's
> based on "open" hardware that will foster the kind of collaborative effort
> that Linux has brought to software.

Damjen Lampret, who founded the OPENCORES project, has already built a
working embedded PC (that can run Linux) using open source hardware,
including the CPU (!):

http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/or1k/silicon

I saw a demo of this last year.  It was incredible.  It's currently
mostly aimed at the embedded systems market, where developers are
getting excited about the idea of not having to pay per-unit royalties
for customizable hardware designs.

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.