[Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast flag: FCC and MPAA Response Briefs

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast flag: FCC and MPAA Response Briefs
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:12:44 -0700

The American Library Association, EFF, and others challenged the FCC's
authority to regulate equipment beyond the receive tuner, in its broadcast
flag ruling.  (The "flag" order requires that the tuner not provide
its signal to equipment that would let consumers simply record the signal.)

The court issued a letter questioning ALA's and EFF's standing to
challenge the order.  Standing is a legal doctrine that controls who
is permitted to file suits; you have to be affected and not just
be a bystander.  EFF and ALA submitted a brief and declarations that
detail how we and our members are affected and have standing.

FCC's and MPAA's responses just came in; here they are, courtesy of
EFF attorney and DTV Liberation Front organizer Wendy Seltzer:

  http://wendy.seltzer.org/media/fcc-flag-supp.pdf
  http://wendy.seltzer.org/media/mpaa-flag-supp.pdf

Some of the earlier documents are here:

  http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/bfcase