Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NTSC Demo

From: Thom Rainwater
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NTSC Demo
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:06:26 -0400

If I understand it well you do the following to get rid of the audio_carrier:
interpolate 2x to avoid aliasing
downconvert audio-carrier to zero
highpass to get rid of audio-carrier

downconvert video-carrier to zero
get absolute value(get envelope)
decimate 2x

The above steps can be done in gnuradio with the components which are already
there
interpolator
freq_translating_fir_filter (which you feed high_pass fir filter taps)
multiplication (or another freq_translating_fir_filter with low_pass filter

taps, this way you get a band_filter)
abs
decimator

Is there a way to get these same results w/o interpolating the entire signal? See attached diagram. Can we assume that the significant spectrum of the video component is less than 4 MHz? If so, can we take the incoming signal sampled at 8 MS/s complex do our audio processing to get the audio signal, then filter out audio component, translate the video component and do the video demod?

Thanks

Thom Rainwater