[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GigE

From: Larry Doolittle
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GigE
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:43:04 -0700

On the other side of what Harald Welte wrote
> While Gigabit Ethernet is certainly a ubiquitous and cheap interface, I
> wouldn't recommend it's use for USPR or alike devices.
> [the linux network stack] is not intended for an application which just
> wants to get big data streams with low latency and little overhead into
> userspace.
> So I think there's too much of an 'impedance mismatch' between what
> gnuradio needs and a GigE/network stack can provide.
is the FPGA end.

There is a published Ethernet MAC for Wishbone at Opencores, that makes
good study material, even if you don't want to target an FPGA with it.

I have a pretty good start on an Ethernet/IP/ARP/UDP processor in
Verilog suitable for FPGA use.  It can (in theory) transmit and receive
full-speed GigE (125 MHz clock 8-bit data path).  I don't yet
understand the hookup to the PHY; I hope eventually to do so,
in part by stealing chunks from the aforementioned Opencores project.

      - Larry