[Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:14:55 -0400

After a brainstorming session at PARI, I've come up with an alternative to
either USB or GigE, with up to three times the throughput of GigE.

Ultra320 SCSI.

1.)     Standard software interface from the Linux side (libscg like used for
2.)     Scalable throughput with PCMCIA UltraWide SCSI available; any given
device has to be able to scale from 5MB/s SCSI-1 up through the top end for
the device; Ultra320 gives 320MB/s of throughput, potentially, which would
increase our bandwidth ten times (three time faster than GigE) and would be a
good fit for the chips involved.  The SCSI layer could even be done on an
FPGA, since it's standard LVDS levels for LVD-SCSI.
3.)     Interface boards are available for any throughput range needed without
changing any hardware at the USRP.  Need 10MB/s?  Get a $5 eBay special.
Need the full rate?  get a 64-bit PCI-X U320 screamer.
4.)     External and internal interfaces available.
5.)     Ability to process and redirect streams from one USRP to another one
without CPU intervention over the SCSI bus.

Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive