Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP USB not responding

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP USB not responding
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:03:10 +0200

Hi Edward,
My USRP board has developed a USB communications issue. The host PC no longer responds to the board when the USB connection is made. “USRP” does not show up in USBview, and the FPGA does not load. The green flashing LED on the board continues to flash at the faster rate. I can see two interrupts using XOSview that are generated when the USB cable is connected. These results are from using the Knoppix/USRP live CD on two different computers and with two different USB2.0 cables.
Make sure you unplug the powercable and replug it before you connect it to a
new computer.
This forces a firmware load.
Also make sure the usrp_fpga.rbf firmware file for the right board revision
(rev0, rev1 or rev2) is available in $PREFIX/share/usrp/rev2
Where $PREFIX is where the usrp is installed (/usr/local or /usr)

I am hopeful that this is a firmware instead of a hardware issue with the USRP USB driver IC. Does the this IC store its identification in EEPROM, and can this be reloaded through USB?
Yes its identification is stored in an EEPROM and this can be reloaded through
USB although this should never be needed.
see http://comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall
If the EEPROM contents once have been right they shouldn't have changed (go
bad) unless you ran one of the burn-xxx-eeprom tools
or you ran some commands similar to the next line:
usrper i2c_write xxxwrongnumbersherexxx

I think an USRP should have the following usb id: fffe:0002

Note that the usrp does NOT yet work on usb 1.1, only usb 2.0

Matt and Eric are traveling through europe right now. (A whole bunch of the
Gnuradio people met last weekend at what-the-hack in the netherlands)
Matt can probably help you with this as soon as he is back in the US (or back
online)

Greetings,
Martin