Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fft display frequency spotting

From: Chuck Swiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fft display frequency spotting
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:41:41 -0400

At 05:01 PM 9/26/2005 -0300, you wrote:
Hello everybody
I would like to know how I can get a frequency
precision with the fft_sink.
If anybody can help me, I would like to receive any
example with this.
I saw this link
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-08/msg00019.html
but when I implemented in the mc4020_fft.py, I had
problems.

Rosciano - here is a quick hack of the above into usrp_fft.py  (I do not have
a mc4020, but this works with a usrp)  and only works in certain conditions

1) you do not resize the window and
2) you use the default decimation

To change size or decimation you must change some scaling and offset
numbers in the Mouse() function.   I've made notes of additions with
# (CS).

http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/usrp_fft_mouse.py

If one could make the display fixed size (I tried putting size=(320,480) in the fft statement but it didn't fix the size) and factor the decimation into the offset
and scale factors it would be more auto-magic.  I tried, as Eric suggested
to get into plot.py and use find_closet_point() but didn't have any luck. In fact, we don't actually want the *closest* point, just the X position in terms of the
frequency scale ;)

Being able to get an accurate frequency reading is a desirable feature, this kludge
might do untill someone does it right.

--Chuck