[Discuss-gnuradio] usb_claim_interface error

From: Javs
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usb_claim_interface error
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

Group,

I am having problems to establish the initial
communication with the USRP with any example in the
code. The first time I run any code
(test_usrp_standard_tx in this case), it fails giving
me the following error :
-----------
address@hidden apps]$ ./test_usrp_standard_tx
en_interface: usb_claim_interface: failed conf 0
could not set config 1: Operation not permitted
open_nth_cmd_interface: open_cmd_interface failed
die: lt-test_usrp_standard_tx: usrp_standard_tx::make
-----------
However, the second time I run the same code, it runs
perfectly. Same is the case with any of the examples.

I tried a few random experiments to figure out where
exactly the problem is :

1.I removed the power cable and reconnected it(USB
remains plugged, at this point LED is at faster rate).
Then if i try the "test_usrp_standard_tx", it gives me
the above error (now LED slown down). After the LED
slows down, things are normal. the slowing down of LED
is a sign that the firmware is loaded, but my concern
is why does it not execute the code ?

2. Now when things are normal, this time I removed the
USB and replugged to usrp(power remains plugged and
LED remains at slower rate). "test_usrp_standard_tx"
will run now with no errors. I guess this time it
remembered the USB association as the eeprom was alive
with power.

3. Following upon the usrp install doc, I tried to
reconnect the power and usb and this time tryin the
same code as root. Works fine with no errors.

So looked to me like its a USB permissions error for
other users. I then checked the 'usrp' and
'usrp.usermap' files at stc/hotplug/usb. They seem to
be intact as described in
http://comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall

The 'usbview' positively recognises the USB connect as
a 'unknown' device when plugged in ;and as a 'USRP Rev
2' when the code is run the first time.

I checked my 'fstab' file (attached) and added the
following line
-----------
/mnt/usb     /proc/bus/USB           usbfs
 defaults        0 0
-----------
I suspect this to be the culprit and i am
investigating more on this.

Javs

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
LABEL=/1                /                       ext2
 defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts
 gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
 defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3
 defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc
 defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs
 defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3
 defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3
 defaults        1 2
LABEL=SWAP-hda5         swap                    swap
 defaults        0 0
/mnt/usb                /proc/bus/USB           usbfs
 defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb                /media/cdrom            auto
 pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
 pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0