Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installatin of USRP - many question related to su

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installatin of USRP - many question related to sudo maybe
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:26:23 -0700

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 03:09:21PM -0600, Robitaille, Michael wrote:
> Hello all and thanks for your.
>
> I finally got all the baseline and gnuradio software installed per
> KD7LMO.net with some modification and still some question, for instance:
>
>             1- In the install_baseline.sh there is the installation of
> xerces-c-src-2_6_0  but not in the baseline build shell or in the list of
> items needed.  I did not install this package, is this ok?

You don't need xerces.  This is OK

>             2- Is the Octave/Octave-forge package needed?  I did build and
> installed these packages.

Not required for GNU Radio, but nice to have.

>             3- Should any of these packages, including gnuradio, be
> installed with sudo?

Depends on your setup.  I don't install with sudo (being generally
paranoid), and have arranged things so that I'm in a group that has
write access to everything under /usr/local.  Judicious use of
chmod g+s on directories under there is useful.

> I then tried to do install my brand new USRP, =), based on the wiki
> UsrpInstall.  Here are the problems I have encountered and need help with:

> 1-       The directory /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2 was not created with the
> required files (firmware).  I created the directory and added the files as
> root manually.  Running the program test_usrp_standard_tx does not seem to
> install the firmware file in the directory.  Most likely related to #3 above
> but not I did try to do gnuradio install with sudo and it did not put the
> fillies.  I did use CVS and per the instruction, I manually copied the file
> usrp_fpga.rbf to the directory.

I think this was a permissions problem.  Unless you're setup to write
/usr/local and below, you will want to "sudo make install".

> 2-       When I run test_usrp_standard_tx I get the error - can't find
> usrp_fpga.rbf.  The LED on the USRP does change from 2Hz to 1Hz, so the
> firmware did get loaded.

If you're building from CVS, you need to install the .rbf file manually.
Grab http://comsec.com/usrp/usrp_fpga_rev2_2005_10_20.rbf and install
it as /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2/usrp_fpga.rbf

> 3-       I do have hotplug running and seem to have permission to access the
> USRP device (when I had a camera to the USB port, it loaded automatically).
> When I check the /etc/hotplub/usb, I do not see usrp or usrp.usremap.

We don't use the hotplug stuff.  Our library loads the firmware and fpga
bitstream when you first open the device.

There's lots of variation on usb device permissions depending on your
distribution.  Under SuSE 9.3 it "just works".  Not sure why!
Under Mandrake 10.1 I made myself a member of group usb, which is the
group that owns everything under /proc/bus/usb/*
FWIW, the gid and perms used by usbfs can be set with a mount command
option.  E.g.,

  address@hidden ~]$ grep usbfs /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb
        action "Mount USB filesystem" mount -t usbfs -o devmode=0664,devgid=43
none /proc/bus/usb

> 4-       When I run the example usrp_oscope.py I get the error No module
> named gnuradio.

Did you make install?  Did it work?
You might try "sudo ldconfig"
Is your PYTHONPATH set?  Should be something like:

  /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages

> Please help.

OK!

Eric