Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Making a new packet_sink

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Making a new packet_sink
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:11:36 -0800

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:50:14AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> I am attempting to make a new version of packet_sink that uses a smaller
> sync header and fix payload size to save some data bandwidth (remember my
> low carrier frequency).  I am attempting to generate a new block use the
> gr-howto-write-a-block to make it cleaner and not change the original
> packet_sink.

Good plan.

First off, did you ever get the existing howto code to import successfully?
As I asked earlier, does the import work if the current directory is /tmp?

  $ cd /tmp
  $ python
  >>> from gnuradio import howto

> Note that I am using mr rather then howto.  In the file mr.py, generated by
> swig, it imports _mr.  I did this manually and there is no _mr.packet_sink.
> There is a mr.packet_sink in the mr package that was generated.

Therefore, either:

  (1) Your current directory is located somewhere under a path listed
      in PYTHONPATH or the system default path.

      >>> import sys
      >>> sys.path

  (2) Your PYTHONPATH is hosed

  (3) The compilation of mr was not successful

  (4) You didn't do a "make install" in your mr directory

Starting with the unmodified gr-howto-write-a-block tarball or CVS
checkout, compile and install using the normal sequence:

  ./bootstrap   # only if building from CVS
  ./configure
  make
  make check
  sudo make install

After you build gr-howto-write-a-block, cd to src/lib
In there you will find half of the glue: howto.py
>From there cd to .libs (note the leading .)
In there you will find the second half of the glue: _howto.so

After you "make install", both parts are copied to
${prefix}/lib/python<ver>/site-packages/gnuradio

E.g.,

-rwxr-xr-x  1 eb eb     925 2005-12-09 18:18 _howto.la
-rw-r--r--  1 eb eb    7869 2005-12-09 18:18 howto.py
-rw-r--r--  1 eb eb   11052 2005-12-09 18:18 howto.pyc
-rw-r--r--  1 eb eb   11052 2005-12-09 18:18 howto.pyo
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eb eb  546001 2005-12-09 18:18 _howto.so

Once installed they may be succesfully imported subject to the four
conditions listed above.

After you sort out gr-howto-write-a-block, I expect your mr project
will work too.

Eric