Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ssb demod

From: mike revnell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ssb demod
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:46:25 -0700

Marcus Leech wrote:

I'm one of the folks wanting to use USRP/GnuRadio for amateur radio astronomy. Nice to see you "on board" with the GnuRadio project. I actually paid a tourist visit to the VLA a couple of years
 ago, and bumped into one of your public-education folks.

I also just got my copy of "Synthesis Imaging in Radio Astronomy II" didn't I see your name in
 the credits?

There is a fair number of us tooling up to use USRP/GnuRadio combinations for amateur RA work, and it's good to see an increasing number of professional radio astronomy
 types joining the "GnuRadio" revolution.

I built an agile receiver a couple of years ago, but the spectral bandwidth sucked, so I waited patiently for the USRP to come to fruition. My winter project is to get my USRP working to at least the same degree of functionality I had with my receiver (http://www.propulsionpolymers.com/radioastronomy/ seti_receiver.pdf). My primary interest is actual "conventional" RA, but the spectral capabilities were interesting to the amateur SETI crowd, which is how I slanted my paper.

I at a far too low level to have anything in that book. I also came here only 7 years ago.

I'm an electronics designer as opposed to a theoretical type or astronomer. I have taken the summer school that uses the book you mention.

Most of the people who did write the book are still around. Barry Clark is emeritus now for about a year but still shows up at work most of the time.

The local college here (New Mexico Tech) has a two antenna interferometer a short walk from my home. I got two of the DBS daughter cards for my USRP with the idea of someday hooking them up to the antennas.

I'll eventually have to write some kind of correlator to get fringes.