Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gain control extreme non-linearity--is my hardwar

From: Lee Patton
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gain control extreme non-linearity--is my hardware broken?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:58:23 -0500

40-50 dB is at the top end of what the RF VGA can do (max of 56 dB set in the code). My guess is that the output of the DBS direct-conversion chip is saturated for your input signal when gain is >= 40.  What is your input signal?

I think the best way to see if you're saturating is to plot the average output power vs. commanded gain.  I attempted to do that  (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-12/msg00257.html ) but I think I calibrated with too low an input signal.

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 22:19 -0500, Marcus Leech wrote:
Matt Ettus wrote:

>Lee Patton wrote:
>

>>I have seen that problem too. It is the result of incorrect python
>>integer/float semantics during the setting of the gc2 variable in the
>>set_gain() method found in db_dbs_rx.py. I will post a complete patch
>>once I am finished investigating some other gain issues that I have
>>noticed.
>>
>>For now, the following change should work:
>>
>>old: gc2 = int(round(31 * (1-gain/24)))
>>new: gc2 = int(round(31 * (1-gain/24.)))
>>

>In the mean time, I have checked this in.  Thanks for finding the problem.
>
>Matt

Applied the fix, and it seems to have mostly worked--there's still some
weirdness
  between the 40 and 50 settings, but it's much improved.  I thought
that perhaps
  my hardware was broken--like one of the VGAs wasn't working.