Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel coding andTDMA in gnuradio

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel coding andTDMA in gnuradio
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:50:07 -0800

Keith Bannister wrote:

> Channel Coding:
> 1. Phil Karn's Reed-Solomon code is in the 2.6 tarball but I can't find
> any blocks that use it. Have I missed something? Does the RS stuff need
> wrapping in a gr_block?

The RS stuff was last used for the HDTV code which hasn't been ported
over from the 0.9x GNU Radio API.  Wrapping them with the new API would
be much appreciated.

> 2. Also, Phil Karn's convoltional code/decoders are also available in
> the GPL. Is anyone wrapping these in blocks yet?

Not yet

> TDMA:
> 3. How do the designers envisage doing TDMA? Is it a case of documenting
> techniques that enable the designer to get gnuradio to do what you need?
> I'm thinking in particular:
> - Attaching meta-information (e.g. timestamps, error measurements) to
> blocks of samples
> - Zero-copy methods (e.g. for muxes)

We were planning on doing timestamps.  If you have thoughts on this
area, we'd be interested.  We've been leaving it as an exercise for the
user, but now that we have transceiver boards available, it is time to
tackle this.

> 4. Is anyone working on a gr_soft_correlator that does something similar
> to gr_simple_corrlator but in the over-sampled, soft-decision domain?

Not to my knowledge, but that would be useful.

Thanks,
Matt