Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:48:56 -0500

Eunsoo Seo wrote:

Hi, guys. I'm a newbie.
I'm planning to buy some USRPs and start learning gnu radio.

By the way, somebody told me that I need a license from FCC to use gnu radio.
And he said that getting a license is not the manufacturer's duty but mine.

Is this true?
Do you guys have licenses?

-Eunsoo

If you're using USRP for receiving, no licensing is required.

But if you're using it for transmitting in the amateur-radio bands, then you'll
 definitely need to get yourself an amateur-radio license.

If you're using it for transmitting in bands other than amateur-radio, then the rules become much more complicated. In the U.S., any devices must be type-accepted (certified by the FCC) in order to transmit anywhere other than the amateur-radio bands. In many of those non-amateur-radio bands, you'll also need a seperate
 "user" license.

Keep in mind also, that in many countries (the U.K. comes to mind) there have been requirements to license *receivers*. I'm not sure whether this is still a requirement
 in the U.K. or not.