Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SuSE 10.0 build experience

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SuSE 10.0 build experience
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:08:44 +1030

On Sunday 12 March 2006 07:55, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 23:01, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 13:05, Eric Blossom wrote:
> > My DVD, whilst providing most development tools, didn't have gnu gcc and
> > g++. It was missing and I had to build it from sources. sdcc is missing
> > too and I have yet to build it.
>
> The Linux Magazine SuSE 10.0 'non-OSS' DVD perhaps?
>
> You need to point YaST at an online installer and off of the DVD once you
> install, then grab the other bits you need.  There's lots missing on that
> DVD, like PostgreSQL....
>
> I got one of those, too, and getting it 'fixed' took a little while.  Linux
> Magazine's site has information (this is the UK Linux Magazine, BTW)

Thanks, yes its the DVD from linux-magazine.com. I've since upgraded to
10.1-beta6.

Whilst the Suse installation process is as smooth as it can get, it is
unfortunately pretty rough around the edges when it comes to installing
packages using YaST2. Many packages are missing, some packages don't come
with their *-devel companions and some don't even exist requiring building
from sources.

I installed and tested GNU Radio on RH9, FC4 and Suse 10.0/10.1b6. FC4 sofar
delivered the best results for me. However, none of the Linux distributions
offered me the ease of installing GNU Radio that comes with pkgsrc. Its most
definitely not an automated process and a big stumbling block for newcomers.

Next I will try to bootstrap pkgsrc on Suse and try installing GNU Radio from
there. Another interesting exercise would be to use LINUX XEN0 to run a
NetBSD XENU domain and run the NetBSD binaries for GNU Radio.

cheerio Berndt