[Discuss-gnuradio] Finally, audio_port_sink functional

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finally, audio_port_sink functional
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:17:33 -0500

pa_mono_tone.py and pa_multi_tone.py finally work, meaning audio_portaudio_sink is working.

A real lesson was learned here. The machinery built to handle all of the connected processing routines from sinks and sources are completely capable of handling "incompletes". The complicated machinery trying to make things "just right" on every call to the sink was just not needed and caused myriad problems. If you call a sink and tell it you have 1000 items but there is only space for 500, consume 500 and return that you consumed 500 and all is well with the world.

I ran

./pa_mono_tone.py  -O hw:0,0 and it chose alsa
./pa_mono_tone.py -O alsa and it chose jack (read the device list, this will need real work)
./pa_mono_tone.py -O /dev/dsp and it chose oss

All worked seamlessly. pa_multi_tone.py was more problematic. It would not work with jack in any settings. On oss, it was told my soundmax had 16 channels and started up all the channels and it just seemed to work. I don't know where the other 14 went!

I am quite anxious for the Mac folks to tell us if this works.

After this struggle, the source will be much easier to get it going for the first time. The devices PA routines from all of these sound cards is about as rational as a screen door in a submarine. This will take some real AI to fix. Maybe I will dust off the common lisp ;-)

Bob