[Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio OFDM receiver design

From: Jens Elsner
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio OFDM receiver design
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 14:30:52 +0200

Hello everybody,

I'd like to implement the physical layer of the DAB standard in GNURadio.
The resulting code of should be as versatile as possible since the basic
basic OFDM concept is the same for a lot of standards.

Blocks that should be reusalbe are

        - OFDM time and frequency synchronization
         -> should be based *only* on cyclic prefix correlation
            Performance is worse but standard independend.
        - carrier-to-symbol mapping
        - frequency (de)interleaver

Apart from OFDM:
        - matrix time (de)interleaver
        - symbol mapping
        - QAM decoder
        - Differential coding
        - (de)scrambling
        - Viterbi decoder / convolutional encoder

All these tasks are very common. I'd like to write a general version
first and then adapt these blocks through inheritance for DAB.

Some of the functionality exists already in the ATSC implementation. But I feel
there should be a general concept about how to integrate these blocks
into GNURadio.

So far I'm not familiar with the details of GNURadio. Is someone working
in this direction? What could be adapted from other free software
projects?

Jens