Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Graphical programming with Ptolemy

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Graphical programming with Ptolemy
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:22:46 -0700

Patrick Strasser schrieb:

This are the parts I want to see in Python for several reasons:
* Gnuradio uses already Python. This is a known technology to the developers. And you can get rid of XML, another unknown technology. (Gnuradio depends on C++, USB, Swig, Python and wxWidgets, moreover the >3 audio interfaces. That's a enough to support as can be seen on this list.)

This is somewhat missleading... While these are the 'primary' dependencies, those packages all have secondary, tertiary, quarnary, n-ary dependencies which often lead to a tangled web of 'you-cant'-get-there-from-here-without-a-heck-of-a-lot-of-work'. (for example, wxWidgets needs gtk, which needs pango, which needs cairo, which needs fontconfig and freetype, etc... not to mention atk, and glib...)

It seems to becoming an 'annual' event that I setup a GNURadio environment, and this year's candidate machine seems to have almost nothing of the antecedent packeges... and because of a very strange problem of cairo not linking correctly, I'm compiling the latest version of gcc to see of there is an implicit dependence on the version of gcc somewhere...

so needless to say, I'm not particularlly enthusiastic at the moment...

John Clark