[Discuss-gnuradio] Using the gr_agc_ff block

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using the gr_agc_ff block
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:07:13 -0700

I am trying to use the gr_agc_ff block in my SSB code but I am not sure if I am doing it right.  The only example I found of this function’s usage is in gnuradio-examples/python/apps/hf_radio/radio.py … and it is commented out.  Like the author of that example, I connected the AGC block right before the audio_sink (actually … AGC -> Volume Multiplier -> audit_sink).  It seems to work, but the effects aren’t as dramatic as I had hoped.  I can definitely pull in signals that are not in range without AGC.

I played around with the functions parameters and got even better results when I kicked up the reference and gain parameters to 2 and 3.

Can anyone confirm that I am using this block as intended?  It seems like it should be used earlier in the demodulation.  Also, what units are we talking about for the reference and gain parameters – is it volts for the reference value and db for the gain?

Brian Johnson

Kutta Consulting Inc.

Work: 602-896-1976

Cell   : 623-451-9417