Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:42:43 -0400

On Friday 19 May 2006 11:38, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> Well put, Lamar. I just wanted to add a few things. I've worked with the
> SDR Forum for a while now, so I decided to ask them about the concerns
> raised on this discussion board.

Thanks, Tom.  Say hi to Steve Ellingson for me; got his document, and enjoyed
the read.

> Bottom line, I love the GNU Radio project, but the world of SDR has a long
> way to go. It started mostly, and still is largely, with military money. We
> are just now seeing it as a commercial and hobbyist possibility.

MatLab plus Simulink is de rigeur for many.  I personally have a license for
this, on Linux.  We have a large hardware computer design coming in for
autocorrelating 12 200MS/s streams; it will require the equivalent of an
800GHz P4; it's going to be done with Xilinx silicon, similar to the setup
Dr. Ellingson is using with ETA here at PARI.

> that much of the work comes from the military and the big contractors.
> Getting more students involved is nothing short of a good thing. If the GNU
> Radio community wants to get involved, too, I think everyone would be
> happy. This is about the future of SDR and communications, and I for one
> would like to see as many students get their hands on this stuff as
> possible and provide the necessary cooperation and competition to push it
> to new heights.

Yea, and Amen.
--
Lamar Owen