Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition

From: David Bengtson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:14:43 -0400

Tom Rondeau wrote:
Well put, Lamar. I just wanted to add a few things. I've worked with the SDR
Forum for a while now, so I decided to ask them about the concerns raised on
this discussion board.

First, to the IP, they are not trying to take IP rights away from the
inventors. Their intent is to reserve the right to publish the work. This is
basically the same as the copyright transfer we always give when publishing
papers for IEEE or to the SDR Forum Technical Conference. They have
recognized problems with the wording, as raised by a number of people
directly involved with the competition, and are right now waiting for the
new wording to clear this up. The SDRF is a non-profit organization and has
no interest in holding IP of this sort.
I've been to a couple of the SDR Forum conferences, and I've been impressed with the organization. I'm glad they are clearing this IP issue up. I was quite surprised to read the IP rights clause there, based on other publications I've seen from the SDR Forum.

The competition is meant to allow students to get hands-on work with SDRs,
techniques, and tools. The corporate sponsors have agreed to provide some
tools and equipment to facilitate this process. I understand the concerns
with the corporate sponsorship, but again, they do not receive the IP
created. They are mostly interested in building familiarity with their
products, getting their names out to the community for future development,
and hopefully build loyalty to their products.

I think this competition is a good idea, and I'm very curious to see the projects that get submitted to this. I've been out of school for a while , but the projects that are listed as examples strike me as quite difficult for a group of students, but I certainly willing to be proven wrong.

If nothing else, entering this contest would look great on a student's resume, and would really seal the deal when it comes to hiring. I'm not sure that it would really matter how well they placed, as long as there was something there that the students could talk about in an interview.

Without these tools made available to the competitors, it wouldn't really
fly. Unfortunately, most people do not look at the GNU Radio right now as a
professional tool whereas MATLAB is, not to mention the fact that MATLAB is
a simple CD installation, and I think all of the "Can't get gnuradio-core to
compile" emails on this listserv prove the difficulty in working with this
project.

Matlab/Simulink makes for a decent toolset. While it is expensive, there is quite an ecosystem that has developed around it, something that Octave/Scilab/numPython/etc. aren't really able to offer. Looking at the other difficulties in this project, it certainly seems like a decent decision to eliminate as many software glitches as possible.

As someone who has taught communications classes (and used the GNU Radio for
in-class demonstrations!), I can tell you that most electrical engineers in
communications are not comfortable with programming, which I am highly
critical of as the future of communications is in software. That aside, many
of them are uncomfortable working in MATLAB in a Windows environment. When I
tell my students that they will have to program in this class, I loose a
number of them, and the rest groan. I can't imagine what would happen if I
told them they had to install Linux and the GNU Radio code if they wanted to
work on this stuff at home!

They are going to have to get used to programming something if they plan on working as an engineer. A significant amount of my work hours are spent staring into
1) The Matlab IDE
2) Agilent's ADS
3) Microsoft Excel

and I'd really like the time to learn Verilog. While Computer algebra packages are nice, if you plan on implementing something in hardware, you will need something that outputs something that you can build an IC from. Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

Bottom line, I love the GNU Radio project, but the world of SDR has a long
way to go. It started mostly, and still is largely, with military money. We
are just now seeing it as a commercial and hobbyist possibility. That means
that much of the work comes from the military and the big contractors.
Getting more students involved is nothing short of a good thing. If the GNU
Radio community wants to get involved, too, I think everyone would be happy.
This is about the future of SDR and communications, and I for one would like
to see as many students get their hands on this stuff as possible and
provide the necessary cooperation and competition to push it to new heights.

Thanks, and I'll get rid of my soapbox now.

Tom Rondeau
Virginia Tech