Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS, DBS-RX, and interference?

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS, DBS-RX, and interference?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:20:46 -0700

You might be able to special order the same oscillator from CTX in the +/- 10 PPM version. Other options include using an external oscillator, or measuring the actual frequency of the oscillator on board.

Matt

Ben Loftin wrote:

Any advice on choosing a better oscillator. Would it be a simple switch? Searching 90 kHz, is not something I want to do :) Thanks.

Ben

Krzysztof Kamieniecki wrote:
GPS update:
 I have my GPS simulated signal source and GPS correlator working in
GNURadio.
 I also have the DBS-RX up and running.
 Next step is to feed the DBS-RX signal into the GPS correlator, and
get them to work together.

Questions:
While using dbs_debug.py I have come across a signal at ~1575.254 MHz
(while the GPS L1 signal should be at 1575.42MHz) Could the frequency be
that far off on the DBS-RX board, or is this some sort of
interference/real signal? If I put my hand close to the antenna the
signal attenuates to the noise floor. Any ideas?

The oscillator on the USRP is spec'ed to 50 ppm, so you could be as much
as 79 kHz off plus doppler.  The hand near antenna experiment confirms
that it is an external signal, not something on the USRP/DBSRX.

Matt