Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:50:58 -0700

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for providing more information.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:07:56PM -0700, Daniel Garcia wrote:

> --- Robert McGwier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is this is Master's thesis  or a Doctoral
> thesis/dissertation?
>
> I am completing a Master's thesis.
>
> > What areas in EE (signal processing, computer
> > science, etc.) do you find
> > most attractive and most comfortable or where you
> > might like to stretch/take a risk?
> >

> I'm comfortable with signal/image processing but have
> an undergraduate minor in CS. I'm interested in
> anything video related (like an NTSC implementation if
> it has not been done), commercial audio (DOLBY
> Surround, THX, FMeXtra), or Zigbee.

NTSC might be good.  Martin Dvh has this partly working.
It would be a good starting point. [Martin, where is this code?]

Have you located the specs for the commerical audio stuff above?
I was under the impression that they might be hard to come by.
If you find them, please let us know.

Thomas Schmid has done the physical layer of 802.15.4 (Zigbee).
The code's here: http://acert.ir.bbn.com/projects/gr-ucla
Here's his announcement:
http://www.nabble.com/IEEE-802.15.4-Physical-Layer-Block-tf1819055.html

> As far as software is concerned I have thought of
> producting something similar to Simulink that can
> manipulate the process stream or create a CORBA or ICE
> interface to GNU RADIO to create a Software Radio
> Virtual Machine.

Tad Drier is working on integrating GNU Radio, Ptolemy II and Click.

The code's here: http://acert.ir.bbn.com/projects/ucla-design-env/

I don't think anybody has tried CORBA or ICE.  It's not clear to me
where the win is with CORBA.  I'm not familiar with ICE.  What is it?

> There's alot out there. I don't know what's been done
> or what would be most useful.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

If you want to build modulators/demodulators you might consider
doing some kind of FHSS, DSSS or QAM.

Does any of this sound interesting?

Eric