Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:06:55 -0400

Daniel:

We have a reference implementation of RDS (the digital signal carried along some FM broadcast stations). That RDS code may not be checked in because it does not have the required permissions. However, it might be interesting to take this code and do a clean room version after it has been digested and then to get that checked in. This work was done on a similar basis to what you have discussed here.

If you are going to be doing this work in support of the GnuRadio project, PLEASE, go ahead and get the necessary FSF forms now and learn how to put the needed boilerplate in all pieces of your source code. Your university, department, and/or advising professor may have serious heartburn with this assignment of rights to FSF and then all of your effort on our behalf might go for naught. It has only taken me TWO YEARS to talk my employer and our sponsors into supporting this effort on a widespread basis. The facts are, we could not afford all of the talent that has gone into GnuRadio if we wanted to. However, we can afford to give something back that does not in any way threaten our needs and uses and we become a multiplier rather than strictly a consumer.

Anyone can get these forms and if you want to write code that we can include, please do.

Bob McGwier

Eric Blossom wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for providing more information.

Time for a new motto, what should I choose?