Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:43:13 -0400

In the early days of the "encryption is an armament" issue, Phil Karn produced DES code that was widely distributed. He was harassed for having done so. I was asked to comment on all of this at the time because Phil was one of my best friends at the time (and continues to be) and I worked on the other side of the fence. I argued that it was an unsupportable position on the part of the U.S. government from practical viewpoints rather than idealistic (even though I was very idealistic about having my friend harassed!). In the end, the code was distributed inside the book on a floppy and as such was covered by rules that applied to books. It was all just so silly. It was inevitable that all that could be accomplished by the U.S. government was a tactical retreat. The tactical retreat involved no more than a delaying action. The delaying action lasted for a bit longer and the export controls were soon called into serious question and as I repeatedly warned, they were soon found to be unsupportable and unenforceable.

My OPINION is that the USRP is not a filterbank. If the USRP is a filterbank then Altera, Xilinx, Quiklogic, etc. are going to have to stop selling FPGAs and CPLD's!! The software is a filterbank. The software is published and therefore already exported. It is a fait d'accompli. Matt could have a partnership outside the U.S. to produce the boards and sell it for him. Since he has published all his designs, they are already exported. There is no reasonable action that can be taken and Matt has friends in and out of government that would support him. The U.S. government, through several projects, is moving to actively support GnuRadio, USRP, etc. under the same rules that apply to all other members/contributors with assignments to FSF, etc. ITAR and other pieces of similar legislation will eventually fall under the weight of a) unenforceable and b) detrimental to U.S. corporate competitiveness IMHO.

Bob

Marcus Leech wrote:
So, I was reading over a superficial summary of U.S. export controls today, and discovered that radio receivers capable of more than 1000 channels (what the heck is a channel?) and
 able to switch channels in under 1ms are export-controlled technology.

It seems to me that a USRP with a Gnu Radio filterbank in the back-end is such a receiver,
 and is thus subject to  U.S.  export control.

Anyone with a better view of this able to comment?

Time for a new motto, what should I choose?