Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with USB on OSX?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with USB on OSX?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:38:45 -0400

Playing catch up ... some quick observations:

* You say a G5 iMac on (I assume 10.)4.4, but the script says that it's using SSE. These are contradictory. Could it possibly be an Intel iMac? This probably won't make a difference, but you never know.

* You're using a Flex 400 board, and trying to receive at 102 MHz - which won't work. Try using a frequency in the range of the board. I think that's what the USRP's message is trying to convey. Could someone with a '400' board try out receiving 102 FM & see what it does?

* The "pipe is stalled", in case you're wondering, is normal for most desktop Macs, but not as much so for laptop Macs. Desktops Macs have multiple hardware devices between the OS and USB, which invariably results in both odd errors and slower throughput. Laptops Macs use less and different hardware than desktops, which makes the USB throughput faster overall. Interestingly (from Apple's USB list), PPC Macs have the USB hardware do most of the work while Intel Macs force the OS to do most of the work ... lesson: use bigger requests on Intel and smaller on PPC.

* for anything not requiring the wx GUI, you can just run the script as usual ("./usrp_wfm_rcv.py --freq=102M") assuming that it's executable and has the correct #! notation. IIRC "pythonw" is needed for GUI stuff only. I'll add this comment to my install guide one of these days.

Everything else looks correct, and sounds reasonable. Let the list know if you have any success. - MLD

Begin forwarded message: