Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] translating the signal from baseband to RF

From: Michael Ford
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] translating the signal from baseband to RF
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:34:23 -0500

Thanks. Just glancing at usrp_siggen.py, things look less abstract than they did at the the beginning of the summer. I'll start playing around with it right now. As for the output, is there no other way to catch the final outpuf than with a sprectrum analyzer or oscilloscope? For example, could I possibly directly connect one board to another with an SMA cable and run an oscilloscope block at the receiver, if there is such a block?

On 8/16/06, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:37:27PM -0500, Michael Ford wrote:
> With these old tutorials, it's hard to determine what blocks I should or
> should not be using. I've been messing around with wxpython in my
> transmission code in order to visually aid with any problems that might
> arise. With Tune(), I'm able to see corresonding differences in the received
> signal strength based on what I set the center frequency to be. However, the
> files that I send are not picked up on the receiving side.

The upconversion from complex baseband to the specified RF frequency
takes place in the USRP (actually a combination of the FPGA, AD9862 and
RF daughterboard).

I suggest you start by hooking up an oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer
to the output of whatever daughterboard you're using, and take a look at
the RF output with that.

Try usrp_siggen.py with a variety of options to begin to understand
what's going on.

Eric