Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:42:33 -0700

I just tried this with rev 3340 on an Intel Mac, and I hear the guy talking. This would confirm the endianness theory.

Cheers,
   Jan

Eric Blossom wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:52:50PM +0200, Josh Jennings wrote:
Hi Michael,
Having thought about this a little more, I don't think this problem is
limited to the osx-audio.
I have tried this also on my osx:
1) convert a complex dat file to a num file for gnuplot
2) plot the num file in gnuplot
On os x I get zeros for all the converted points from the dat file,
therefore something seems corrupted.
When I do the same on my linux, I get a good set of converted complex
points in my num file and it shows up correctly in gnuplot.

Here is a list of the files and commands I use for listening to audio
and converting the dat file:

It's probably an "endianness problem".  The dat file is native binary
on whatever machine it was written on.  Most likely x86, thus
little-endian.  The PPC macs are big-endian.  Thus the problem.

Anybody know if the intel macs are big or little endian?

Eric