Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Homing in on the mystery of Pulsy McGrooder

From: Bob Vincent
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Homing in on the mystery of Pulsy McGrooder
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:10:47 -0400

I have also used microdem with success.

At 10:22 PM 9/12/2006, Adam Porr wrote:
>       I might also add that unless propagation is strictly line of sight
> one needs more sophisticated path models to determine expected signal power.
> -11 dbm sounds rather loud.

If your current path loss calculator doesn't accomodate for terrain,
you might give SPLAT! ( http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html) a try! You
can download Digital Elevation Map (DEM) data from NASA for your
region of interest to account for the effects of terrain. The current
version doesn't account for things like antenna gains, but you can do
it manually. The new version will  have antenna gain compensation and
Fresnel zone calculations, among other things.

Good luck!