Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using DSP for precise zero crossing, measurement?

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using DSP for precise zero crossing, measurement?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:45:32 -0400

Achilleas Anastasopoulos wrote:
John,

If want to measure the time difference between two sine waves in noise and accuracy is your primary objective, then you should start with the
"optimal" solution to the problem and not with an ad-hoc technique
such as measuring the zero crossings.

In the simplest scenario, if your model looks like:
s(t) = s(t;A1,A2,t1,t2) = A1 sin(w (t-t1)) + A2 sin(w (t-t2))
r(t)=s(t)+n(t)
and if you assume Gaussian noise n(t), then
if your observation is t in (0,T)
the (maximum likelihood) estimate should minimize
the squared Euclidean distance
int_0^T |r(t)-s(t)|^2 dt
or in discrete time (with appropriate sampling Ts)
sum_k |r(k Ts)-s(k Ts)|^2

There are several simplifications (eg, if you know
apriori that the 2 amplitudes are the same, or if you know one
of t1 or t2, etc) you can try (depending on the required accuracy) but this is the safest way to approach the problem.

Achilleas

Achilleas, thanks for the answer, which it will take me a little while to digest as I'm not a mathematician -- more accurately, I'm a mathematical anti-prodigy! However, I see generally what you're saying and measuring zero crossings isn't the way it "has" to be done, it's the way it's been done in the past for this application.

One factor is that we will *not* know that the two amplitudes are the same; while we can aim for that, in some cases they may be several dB apart because of the nature of the device under test and the reference signal. And, we don't want to add additional amplifiers, etc. into the system unless we really have to because they could contribute their own noise to the result.

My posting a few minutes ago describes in more detail just what we're trying to accomplish. Hopefully that will help explain the goal.

Thanks!

John