Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFTW Problems

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFTW Problems
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:56:26 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:51:31PM -0500, Ron Shaffer wrote:
I'm trying to build with the latest svn source as of this past weekend in FC 4. below is a snip of my configure and make outputs ... Can someone help me with this please - I'm getting unresolved externals on FFTW -
..Ron

You don't have a version of FFTW installed that includes the single
precision versions.

The easiest way to fix it is to build fftw from source as described in
the README at the top of the gnuradio tree.

   (3)  FFTW 3.0 or later             http://www.fftw.org

   IMPORTANT!!!  When building FFTW, you MUST use the --enable-single and
   --enable-shared configure options.  This builds the single precision
   floating point version which we use.  You should also use either the
   --enable-3dnow or --enable-sse options if you're on an Athlon or Pentium
   respectively.
The latter bits have a large impact on the speed so be sure and enable the simd instruction codelets in FFTW. In fact, you can enable BOTH, and FFTW will just do the right thing. I never trust that the default included packages in the distro's have these flags turned on during the compile. I always replace FFTW with my own compile from source in self defense.

Eric

--
Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.
Center for Communications Research