Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio module version assignments

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio module version assignments
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:23:46 -0500

  As GNU Radio now ships in a mega-tarball, which version numbers are assigned
  to the individual modules? Are they pulled inline with the version number of
  the release, e.g. gr-audio-oss-3.0.1?

That's the way I'd do it.  (version set in Makefil.common, and pull
from that in individual pkg Makefiles).  I'd name the packages after
each directory, 1-1.  I bet you can put most things in Makefile.common
and just have the name, the configure variable to enable, and the
dependencies in each individual Makefile.

Probably we need a convention to describe how each module within the
tarball depends on others.  Perhaps this should be machine readable,
and just be a file GNURADIO_DEPENDENCIES, with one directory name per
line.  It would list all the modules that need to be directly present,
meaning a .h file is used, or a library is linked against.  (This
matches pkgsrc's semantics for dependencies, and seems sensible.)

What are people doing when packaging for various GNU/Linux flavors and
other systems?