Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Radio USB Dongles?

From: Dave hartzell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Radio USB Dongles?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:28:50 -0800

On 11/10/06, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden> wrote:
 As the original
poster wondered, it would be far more useful to get downconverted I/Q
out of the thing.  This would be great, for example, if someone ever
gets around to implementing an IBOC decoder for HD Radio.

That was along the lines of my thinking.... HD Radio seems to be
getting tracking amount the broadcasters, especially in the SF Bay
Area.  Yet the few available commercial receivers linger in the
$200-300 range.

An IBOC decoder, along with a cheap, 70-110 MHz USB receiver would
open doors for GnuRadio.  Freely available decoding software might
allow manufacturers to enter the market with lower cost units.

In fact, I think the "market" for Digital Radio Mondiale receivers is
the freely available Dream software!   I haven't seen many
consumer-grade receivers.

Dave