[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Updating my code to reflect svn

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Updating my code to reflect svn
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:16:33 -0800

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 04:56:43PM -0600, Shravan Rayanchu wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Sorry, this might be too dumb to ask ..

Not at all.  I'm sure others have the same question so I'm cc'ing the
list on the reply.

> the gnuradio code base constantly changes and I need to keep track
> of the current code. After I do a "svn co" and I have the code base,
> what is the command I need to run so that my code gets updated
> (i.e. reflects the current code) ?
>
> For example, I want to upgrade to 3.0.2 from 3.0, should i check out
> 3.0.2 separately or is there a way to update the changed files from
> 3.0 ?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Shravan.

In general you use

  $ svn up

Our svn repository is set up in a pretty much standard way (see the svn
book at subversion.tigris.org)

>From the top it looks like this:

  gnuradio/trunk
          /tags
          /tags/releases/3.0
          /tags/releases/3.0.1
          /tags/releases/3.0.2
          /branches/releases/3.0
          /branches/developers/...

If you check out trunk, then when you update you'll get the latest
stuff in the trunk.  If you want the "stable stuff", checkout
branches/releases/3.0.  Then when you update, you'll get only the
minor bug fixes to the stable 3.0 release.

The trees under tags never change.  They are snapshots.
The trees under trunk and branches have active development in them.

In summary, if you want the latest "stable stuff":

  $ svn co http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/releases/3.0

Or if you want the latest bleeding edge:

  $ svn co http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/trunk

Once you've got them checked out, then

  $ svn up

keeps you up to date.

FYI, browsing the repository with trac will show you the layout.
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser

Eric