[Discuss-gnuradio] gr-radio-astronomy: a good annotated trace of Sgr A

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-radio-astronomy: a good annotated trace of Sgr A
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:10:57 -0500

Here's a meridian transit observation of the region around Sgr A--the source near the center of our galaxy.

There's lumpiness due both to receiving system instability, and the fact that the galactic background radiation is not uniformly distributed in intensity. Around 16:20 or so, there's some interference from the Sun, since it transited only 2 beam-widths above where I was pointing. I annotated it with TGIF.

The quasi-discrete source at the galactic center is driven by a postulated black hole. The physics are complicated, but part of the emission is thermal, due to heating of the surrounding gas and dust by gamma and x-rays coming out of
 the event horizon around the black hole as matter falls into it.