[Discuss-gnuradio] Thanks GnuRadio!

From: Eric Hill Matlis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thanks GnuRadio!
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:19:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi all, I just wanted to thank the GnuRadio community for such a great effort. I recently gave a talk at the American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics) in which I presented results on a new flow-velocity sensor I'm developing that produces an AM waveform. Until recently I've been using standard data acquisition techniques with an 8-bit Lecroy DSO to capture the signal and perform demodulation in post-processing. However, just before the conference, I successfully integrated GnuRadio and the USRP into the experiment, and boy what a difference those 12-bit digitizers make to demodulate the signal! Not to mention the real-time processing. Plus I demonstrated wireless transmission from the sensor, which is a real coup.

I brought a working demo to the conference, with the USRP, and demonstrated the device working in real-time. I can say it was a big hit, particularly the gui showing the real-time demodulation. That really added some kick to the presentation.

Anyway, the paper I presented is at

www.nd.edu/~ematlis/Papers/Plasma_probe/JANNAF_2006_matlis.pdf

Thanks again!

eric

Eric H. Matlis, Ph.D.
Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering Dept.
120 Hessert Center for Aerospace Research
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5684
Phone: (574) 631-6054
Fax:   (574) 631-8355