Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS fun and hello from a new user

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS fun and hello from a new user
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 23:22:41 -0500

Matteo Campanella wrote:
> Hello Eric, I am basically doing the same you did on the RDS code and
> specification; right now I have introduced syndrome based sync and
> indeed it looks like it get synced much faster. I am using the wfm
> receiver (non pll), but, not having implemented the loss of sync yet, I
> cannot tell how fst sync comes and goes :)
>
> The ideal thing would be to build up a wxwidget from python able to show
> the rds data in a fancy way, in order to complete the FM receiver with
> RDS info on GUI - given the time left over from work I think it'll take
> ages, and right now priority one is to work Laccadive Islands DXpedition :)
>
> 73 matteo iz2eeq

Hello,

The specification gives some suggestions about loss of sync.  I just
count up to 20 errors in a row then resync.

I want to implement error correction.  I came across some example code
for RDS when researching BCH codes.  A "RDS Explorer" app would be neat.
  Have it display the PI, PS, RT and various codes.  Right now I am
dumping text out the console:

PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A  PS = Beyonce  Mono
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 8A UKN 1: 9  2: 41da  3: 482c
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A  PS = Beyonce  Mono
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 2A RT: txt seg = 28, a/b = 1
RT A: Beyonce - Irreplaceable - KISS 108 - s
RT B:Beyonce - Irreplaceable - KISS 108 - s
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A  PS = Beyonce  Mono
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 8A UKN 1: 9  2: 197  3: 410c
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 3A AI Group 8A Message = 40c0  AID = cd46
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A  PS = Iryonce  Mono
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 2A RT: txt seg = 32, a/b = 1
RT A: Beyonce - Irreplaceable - KISS 108 - s
RT B:Beyonce - Irreplaceable - KISS 108 - s
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A  PS = Irrence  Mono
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 8A UKN 1: 9  2: 197  3: 410c
PI KAKZ Pgm Top 40 Group 0A

So far I found one station has the traffic flag on all the time and the
station I dumped above has the wrong PI set.  Most Stations put the
artist and title in a dynamic PS as above (A no-no in Europe).  Several
stations are broadcasting traffic information (AID = cd46).

The factory radio in my car decodes RDS but after comparing the info the
car radio does not display RT messages.

73 Eric