Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended RF Front End for USRP

From: Thomas Schmid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended RF Front End for USRP
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:04:34 -0800

Hi Ranga

On 12/8/06, M. Ranganathan <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello!

I am a newcomper to SDR. I have scoured the mailing list but I cant find
a definitive answer on the following questions (I suppose its been asked
but I cant seem to find answers in the archives at any rate):

1. Can anybody recommend an RF Front end to be used with the  USRP from
Ettus research? I just got the Basic RX / Basic Tx  daughterboard,
motherboard + power supply and am looking for recommendations on what to
buy so I can experiment with these things. My budget is a few hundred
bucks. Can somebody recommend specific products one can buy off the
shelf to hook into the Basic RX ? I want to be able to recieve RF
signals from a walkie talkie radio and play them on my computer.

This really depends on what you want to do. If you want to play with
WiFi, Bluetooth etc, then you would need the RFX2400 for the 2.4GHz
spectrum. If your walkie talkie uses the 400MHz ISM band (most
likely), then you need the RFX400.

2. What is the simplest meaningful thing one can do to get started with
SDR? (I am looking to bootstrap myself into this before trying to do
anything serious so a fun learning project is what I am looking for.)

The simplest thing is to hook up a metallic wire and try to receive
AM/FM radio. Look at the examples in gnuradio-example. They will help
you further.

Thomas